Cherry Street Mission Clothing Drive

Srestha Chattopadhyay, Staff Writer

Just a few weeks ago, Earth Club worked with the Cherry Street Mission of Toledo to host a clothing drive. Through this clothing drive, many students brought in clothing ranging from shirts and pants to shoes that were later sorted through and donated to the Cherry Street Mission. In addition, this clothing drive worked towards an important goal for  Earth Club, which is promoting the idea of reducing, reusing, and recycling. 

“The clothing drive was about an idea of reduce, reuse, recycle, which was why Earth Club members were so enthusiastic about it,” Environmental Science teacher Michelle Bogue said.

The clothing drive was held from April 22 to May 12 with a cart in the cafeteria where students could drop off bags of clothing either before or after school. 

“The goal of this clothing drive was to donate clothes locally for those who may need them,” junior, and Earth Club Co-President, Navika Kodali said. 

On May 12, those involved in Earth Club stayed after school in Mrs. Bogue’s room, where they sorted all the clothes in different piles, each lab station being for a separate category of clothing. Members of Earth Club that day sorted through about 10 to 15 fully filled bags of clothing, taking about an hour of their time. 

“The clothing drive exceeded our expectations and we received a variety of clothing sizes and types,” junior, and Earth Club Co-President, Megan Basrur said. “I liked how it helps keep clothing out of landfills and was a fun bonding experience for the members of Earth Club.”