The Student Prints

The Student News Site of Sylvania Northview High School

The Student Prints

The Student Prints

Shopping Smarter, not Harder this Black Friday

Anthony Nassar
Smart shopping is important to maximize the deals of Black Friday.

Black Friday. It compels millions of people across the country to wait in line for unbelievable prices and get the jump on their early holiday shopping. But Black Friday deals only last for the day, and at most the weekend. So a plan is needed for these limited time sales to make the most of our precious time. 

The most important and expensive items should always come first, because their marked down price always attracts the attention of others. Electronics of all types can be found at Best Buy. They have a large variety of televisions and computers, while the high quality airpods make for a great stocking stuffer for the upcoming holidays. Video games and consoles can also be bought from the store, but other locations such as Gamestop are recommended for their greater variation of products. All these expensive items are heavily discounted on Black Friday, and should be any shoppers first priority for quality electronics.

Another expensive, yet rarely considered, product shoppers should pursue on the Black Friday list is furniture and decorations. Fun fact, in many western states such as Nevada, Utah, and Colorado, Ikea is the most popular Black Friday destination. Shoppers should utilize Black Friday sales to buy large furniture that would usually cost a fortune so they can begin to customize their living spaces to their heart’s content.

Finally there’s clothing. While we may not consider it, name brand clothing can be extremely expensive. Nike, H&M, Zara, and more can go for hundreds of dollars, so planning what you want so you don’t overspend is important. Making use of Black Friday deals on clothing should come as the last priority, since everyone has a different taste, there’s always something for you at the end of the day. Not to mention, clothing definitely isn’t as expensive as there other items.

While online shopping has been on the rise, in person Black Friday shopping allows for consumers to actually try a product and, if they like it, to buy the product right away. No need for shipping and wait times. 

While everyone has their Black Friday preferences, a general rule of thumb is the most expensive should always come first. That way you can buy it faster than others while the opportunity lasts, and spend the rest of the holiday season comfortably in the thought that you have money to spare for shopping this season.