The Student Prints

The Student News Site of Sylvania Northview High School

The Student Prints

The Student Prints

Auditions for Mamma Mia!

As fall rolls around and students start to become enveloped in homework, pumpkin spice, and apple picking, one activity kicks off that involves many people at Northview, the fall musical. On September 4 and September 5, students auditioned and interviewed to become a part of the cast or crew for Mamma Mia.

To be in the cast, a person had to perform a vocal audition and a dance audition, and if they wanted to be considered for a lead role, they had to memorize and perform a monologue. For the vocal auditions, students learned a cut of a song from the show, and performed it with accompaniment in front of the directors. During dance auditions, students learned sections of two dances and performed them in front of Choreographer Karen Niewiadomski.

Interviews for crew are different because students did not necessarily have to prepare anything. During an interview, crew heads asked a student different questions about what crew they wanted to be on and why they should be chosen for that crew.

Auditions and interviews can be stressful, exciting, or both at the same time. For junior Peyton Siegel, auditions were nerve wracking. “My audition went well. I think I could’ve done better, but I think it’s just because I was nervous, which is normal,” Siegel said. “I’m really nervous for results, but I’m excited to see what everyone else got.”

Freshman Alexis Kieffer was also nervous for auditions. “I think I did really good on acting, but my singing wasn’t great. I was so nervous about singing. I hope I can still get some kind of part though,” Kieffer said.

Grace Gibson, a sophomore, interviewed for props crew. “I think my interview went really well because I was comfortable and confident with my answers to each question,” Gibson said.

Students received their results on September 7 in the form of letters. In the letter there is a feedback form that tells a student what they did well, what they can do to improve, along with the role or position that they got on cast or crew.