Freshmen football feeds hope for future

The Football season is coming to a close as the Wildcats look to finish with an all too familiar 3-7 record.

“We didn’t get as much success in the wins column as I hoped but the team improved a lot and  I think that it will carry into next year,” senior Skylar Gilbert said. “While on the team I gained experience that will help me succeed on and off the field.”

Coach Marek Moldawsky coached the team along with defensive and quarterback coach Rod Achter this season with a current record of 2-7.

“Only going on numbers, we did not do very well this year,” Coach Achter said. “However, the boys work really hard and I saw definite improvements that will help us next year.”

Northview last played at Anthony Wayne looking to improve their record from 2-6. NV’s offense was able to score two touchdowns, however their defense was less consistent and gave up 52 points. The game ended with a loss of 16-52, according to Coach Achter.

The team however, had to overcome many obstacles this year as they were continually plagued with many injured players. This changed their game plan. However, they worked hard and practiced everyday and worked out often, according to Achter.

“We had many injuries this year,” Coach Achter said. “We had a shoulder injury, knee surgery, and several concussions. It really hurt the team at some points.”

Upcoming seasons have more hope however, as the freshman team finished with a record of 6-3. The team then played in the league championship game against Anthony Wayne and lost 15-50, according to freshman Ben Summers.

“I think it’s really awesome that we are the best freshmen team in the last several years,” Summers said. “I hope we make a great Varsity team someday.”

NV’s next game is against Southview as they strive to defeat their rivals and finish 3-7 for three years in a row.

“I’m excited to play SV,” senior Skylar Gilbert said. “I’m ready to beat SV, to do what no one has done for ten years.”

Peter Birsen, Staff Writer