Skating Through COVID

The Hockey team has gotten off to a rough start this season. They suffered a 3 – 6 loss to St. Francis in their season opener and their current record is 2-1-3.  Losing the season opener to St. Francis was especially devastating since they lost the District title game to St. Francis last year after a highly successful season and an NHC Division Championship win. 

To make matters worse, the team has been sidelined for the next several weeks due to the recent Lucas County Health Department Order related to Covid-19. Prior to the recent shut down, the team was having trouble getting the season started due to game cancellations. 

The few games that they have played so far this season have been in front of much smaller crowds than the team is used to seeing. The team has been keeping up their spirits and trying to do their best to stay safe and healthy in hopes of eventually being able to have a full season, such as wearing masks and socially distancing. 

“Our goal is to win a state championship,” senior and co-captain Dougie Carter said. 

Carter has played hockey all four years at Northview and has played a large role in the team’s success. Some other standout players on the team to watch out for this year include senior and Co-Captain David Crandall, Benny Seals, and senior Camren Horvath. 

Last season was the tenth time the team advanced to District Finals in the past 16 seasons. Under the leadership of Carter and Crandall, the team is looking to continue their success and hopefully win a state championship. For now, however, the team is just focused on having a full season. They way things currently look, that may not be the case, but this team is strong and they are prepared for whatever challenges may be thrown their way.