Student writes for Sport Illustrated For Kids

You have probably heard of Sport Illustrated, you may have even heard of Sports Illustrated for Kids, but did you know Northview freshman Patrick Andres was selected last winter to be a kid reporter for Sports Illustrated for Kids?

Hundreds of kids applied for the position and only 15 were selected to be reporters. It will be a year long assignment that will run through January.

“It was really exciting. I was shocked,” Andres said. “I knew there were a lot of people applying. It was really cool and I couldn’t wait to get started.”

The first story that Andres covered was a Cleveland Cavaliers game against the Indiana Pacers. At the game, he interviewed famous Cavalier players such as Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. While most of his stories get published online, his interview with Kyrie Irving was selected to be published in the Sports Illustrated for Kids magazine.

Andres travelled down to Columbus for the Ohio State game on September 26 to cover the Buckeyes in their game against Western Michigan. He interviewed star running back Ezekiel Elliott and had the privilege of touring the locker room and other facilities at Ohio State.

Other famous players that he has interviewed include baseball players Mike Trout, Madison Bumgarner, and Matt Scherzer, and seven-foot tall basketball player Willie Cauley-Stein.

“It was crazy to meet Willie Cauley-Stein in person. He is so big,” Andres said. “I was standing up and he was sitting down and he was still as tall as me.”

Andres has covered the Cavaliers, Indians, NCAA basketball tournament, college lacrosse, Ohio State football, to name just a few. He has written over a dozen stories so far, his favorite sports to cover are college football and baseball.

In college, he plans on studying sports journalism and aspires to be a professional sports writer in the future.

Andres also plans on joining The Student Prints next year.

Matt Bishop, Sports Editor