The Student Prints receives superior rating

Every year The Student Prints staff works tirelessly to produce the best newspaper possible for the student body. Their hard work and dedication to journalism has not gone unnoticed, as they received the International First Place with a Superior Rating award from the Quill and Scroll International Honorary Society for High School Journalists.

At the end of last year, The Student Prints adviser Sarah Huey and former co-editors Claire Goecke and Geeta Rao sent in six of its best issues from the year with an application to the Quill and Scroll Society. The society evaluates all applicants on a number of standards from writing quality to advertisements to photos and more. They then award each applicant with a rating on their newspaper.

“We filled out an application explaining how we, as a staff, accomplished tasks necessary to develop the paper and the stories,” Goecke said.

The staff has received the International First Place with a Superior Rating for the past 12 years. This year and last year, they were the only high school newspaper in Ohio to receive this rating.

“They tell us how well we are doing and how we stack up against other schools across the country,” Ms. Huey said.

The Quill and Scroll Society also gives comments on why each newspaper receives their rating. They explain what is already great and what can be improved upon. They said the The Student Prints is great because they cover all aspects of the school, from arts to sports to student life.

The Quill and Scroll International Honorary Society for High School Journalists is based out of the University of Iowa, known for its excellent journalism program.

Madisen McGranahan, Staffer