Sophomore Class Gov. & Student Council Partner for Holiday Event

Joshua Repp, Features & Copy Editor

On December 1, members in the Student Council and Sophomore Class Government met in STUCO and Sophomore Class Adviser Tami Blue’s room to decorate cards for nursing homes in the Sylvania area. The event, a first for Northview, was a festive celebration of the winter season and a chance for students to volunteer their time to impact their community. 

The event started with preparations by the Sophomore Class Government and Mrs. Blue to bring together the card supplies as well as cookies for the students. After school, participating students gathered to start making the cards. Many various supplies were used to create the cards. As students finished their cards, they transitioned to decorating their cookies and talking with friends. 

Afterwards, Sophomore Class Government Secretary Kennedy Omey delivered the cards to two nursing homes: The Lakes of Sylvania and Kingston Care Center. 

“I think the residents will gladly enjoy the cards as the holidays approach. It may lighten their day as they may not have anyone coming to visit them during the holidays,” Omey said. 

This event, a successful collaboration between the Sophomore Class Government and STUCO, is one way that students have the opportunity to volunteer their time to have a positive benefit on their community. And, because the event was so successful, there will likely be a repeat of it next year, according to Mrs. Blue.

“It was good for [students] to think of other people who might not have a lot of family for the holidays,” Mrs. Blue said.