Cosmetology students show off skills in competition

Maggie Schmitt, Co-Editor

The Cosmetology program recently held a Skills Competition between all of their Northview and Southview students. The girls competed in a variety of categories including haircutting, hair styling, and nails depending on their grade. The junior girls participated in seasonal nail art and updos. Seniors competed in all three of the categories, including hair cutting.

“The competition that we did in class at Northview was on the local level,” Director of the Cos program Chris Jude said. “The first place winners will go on to Regionals which will take place in February at the VanGuard Career Center in Fremont Ohio.” If any of the students place at the regional level, they will then be able to move on to the state competition in Columbus taking place in April. 

To judge the competition, the school brought in outside professionals from the surrounding area.The majority of these judges are professionals that own their own salons for hair, nails, or beauty. Many of these judges have previously graduated from the Sylvania Schools Cosmetology Program.

In the end, several girls placed in the competition. Senior first place winners included Maryia Kaslly in hair and Chole Hoag in nails. The junior first place winners included Justice Harris in hair and Jada Nofzinger in nails. 

All first place winners moved to the regional level and received a gift bag of hair products.