College Decisions

People look for many different things when going to colleges, not just majors. There are over 5,300 colleges in the USA that a student could apply to.

Students like to keep in mind many different variables. Do you want to be far away or close to home? Some want to get away from their hometowns after high school. You may want to live on the beach or somewhere in a city. Do you want to have the option to rent a cheap apartment, be able to join a sorority, or have really nice dorms? Do you want to live on a big campus or a small campus? What about any sports or groups you’re in, do you still want to participate in various campus activities?

It’s very important to keep in mind what kind of job you want to have once you’ve graduated from college. Many different colleges have certain programs that they are known for. For example, BGSU has a very good music school or UT has good engineering and medical programs. This doesn’t mean that their other programs aren’t good, they just are prestigious in those areas. You don’t have to decide right away, but knowing ahead of time will help you choose what kind of classes you need to take.

Some students change their minds before they even go to college. Recently, a Northview student decided that what he planned on going into wasn’t going to make him happy.

“I always felt like I wasn’t doing what is best for society working in theatre and if I was a stage manager all my life, I don’t think I’d make the change in the world I wanted to see. So, I decided that my life would have more purpose if I pursued my passion of protecting wildlife instead of stage management. I will feel like I am doing my part to help society and our planet and working for the common good instead of what seemed comfortable,” senior Grant Perry said.

Research is key when you’re trying to figure out where you want to go. You’ll want to know if they prefer to take SAT or ACT scores. You’ll need to know what you can afford. Or, do they even have a program for your major?

College is a big deal and keeping in mind what you want and what you can afford is important.