The Student Prints

The Student News Site of Sylvania Northview High School

The Student Prints

The Student Prints

Students Work Election Polls

Some Northview students decided to take advantage of the teacher in-service day and fulfill their civic duty.

November 6 high school students all across the United States were eligible to work the polls in their county for the election. It takes quite a few people to run the polls so these student workers are in high demand and they are always looking for more people to work the polls up until right before the election.

Students registered prior to the event and were placed at polling locations all across Lucas County. Although it was a very long day these students did get paid $160 for their service. “Working the polls was a long day, but it was worth it. I learned first hand how a local election works and it was great to be able to get involved in the community,” senior Maya Huffman said.

Volunteers had to get there at 6AM and could not leave until almost 10PM Most of the high school volunteers were in charge of checking people in for voting all day.

“It was really cool to see how the voting system works so that I know for next year. I am really glad I got to fulfill my civic duty by working the polls,” senior Erin O’Donnell said.

Although sleeping in on teacher in-service days sounds appealing, there are ways like working the polls to gain experience, knowledge, and cash that could benefit you in the future.