NV dominates SV in fall sports

A rivalry game is the most important game of the year, no matter what the situation is. It can turn a forgettable season into one that will be remembered forever.

When a rivalry consists of cross-town rivals such as Northview and Southview, which are just a little over two miles apart, the teams play not only to add a win to their record, but for bragging rights as well. After what happened this fall sports season, NV will be doing all of the bragging.

The Wildcat fall sports teams combined to have a 9-0 record against SV. This was a slight improvement from last year’s 8-1 record.

“The goals of each team is always to win the league and go far into their tournament, which many of our teams did,” Athletic Director Chris Irwin said. “It’s just gravy on top to be able to go undefeated against our cross-town rival during the fall sports season.”

Both the Boys’ and Girls’ Cross Country teams took care of the Cougars at the NLL championship. The Boys’ XC team finished third in the league while SV finished fifth. The Girls’ XC team finished second overall, which is five spots ahead of SV’s seventh place finish.

The Boys’ Soccer team defeated the Cougars by a score of 4-0. This win helped them capture the NLL championship. The Girls’ Soccer team also beat SV with a close 1-0 victory.

The Boys’ Golf team dominated SV in their contest this fall, winning by an overall score of 142-163. The Girls’ Golf team faced SV twice and won both matches 161-208 and 161-192.

The Girls’ Tennis team also beat Southview 4-1.

The Volleyball team dominated SV in both matches that they played during the season, winning both in just three sets. The LadyKats went on to win the NLL championship.

For the first time in eight years, the Football team defeated SV and finished above them in the final NLL standings. The Cats won in a thrilling game by a score of 29-28.

“It was a great feeling to beat Southview,” senior football player Austin Sample said. “Not only did it make us have a winning record on the year but we ended an eight year losing streak. It’s always great to beat your rival.”

Matt Bishop, Sports Editor