NV cross country team helps with elementary program

As most kids begin begin playing sports at a young age, cross country is not any different. Seven years ago Cross Country Coach David Briggs decided to start an elementary running program for Sylvania.

“I started it to promote cross country at a younger age and help develop our high school program,” Coach Briggs said.

There are three meets every fall at Secor Metropark where kids can compete against other schools, and try to get better as a runner for middle school, and high school cross country. “The best part about these meets is that they are free for the students,” Coach Briggs said.

All seven Sylvania elementary schools participate, and sixth graders from Timberstone, McCord, and Arbor Hills compete.

At the meet, there is a race for each grade level with distances becoming greater as the kids get older. At the end of the race, every racer receives a participation ribbon, and the top 14 receive a ribbon corresponding to their place.

“It’s so cute to see how excited the little kids are when they get a ribbon, even if it’s just for participation,” said junior Claire Jakubowski. The kids get motivated by the ribbons to try and get better every time.

Along with any competition comes the need for many volunteers. The Northview Boys’ and Girls’ Cross Country teams help out each week at the three meets. They do tasks such as helping enter times into the computer systems, jogging behind the last kids so they do not get lost and are motivated to finish, and lead the kids in first place so they know where to go. Volunteering not only helps out the younger kids and Coach Briggs, but also helps to develop leadership skills, and helps the teams to bond.

“The best part about helping at the races is seeing the joy on the little kid’s faces when they’re running. It’s nice to see the younger generation out running and enjoying it too,” freshman Sheridan Scott said.

The elementary meets this year took place September 22, September 29, and October 6. There will not be any more this year, but the number of kids involved continues to grow.

Erin Chambers, Staff Writer