NV students named BCSN All-Around All-Stars

The most common advice anyone ever receives in high school is to get involved and be well-rounded. Three Northview seniors have accomplished just that as they were named BCSN All-Around All-Stars in Sunday’s issue of The Toledo Blade. Abbey Pawlak for volleyball, Ben Forrester for tennis, and Mallory Small for cross country were chosen among fierce competition to represent Toledo as the very best.

Each year, BCSN asks local coaches to nominate their most well-rounded player on a basis of athletic and academic success, school involvement, and community service. BCSN then chooses only one individual among multitudes of applications to represent each sport, according to www.bcsn.tv.

“I am extremely honored and flattered. I was up against a lot of great student athletes for the volleyball award,” Pawlak said.

The NV athletes were each nominated by their coaches and simply submitted their accomplishments for review, according to Forrester. Once selected, they were interviewed for television segments of their own.

“It feels good. It also felt good to be able to be on TV. I got my five minutes of fame,” Forrester said.

The point of the award is to recognize greatness achieved behind the scenes.

“I didn’t set out to become an All-Around All-Star,” Pawlak said. “It is an award given to people who are exactly that; they are involved all around.”

While their respective sports take up a large amount of their time, each of the three NV students is involved in multiple activities at school. Forrester represents the students as Interact President while Pawlak is Student Body Secretary and Small also participates in track and field.

“I feel incredibly lucky to be honored by the community. It is a great feeling to be recognized for putting in countless hours and hard work towards something you are passionate about,” Small said.

Pawlak has committed to continue her volleyball career at the University of Akron next year. Forrester plans on most likely playing club tennis at Bowling Green State University and Small plans to run either cross country or track at San Diego State University and will continue competition in marathons and other races.

“My piece of advice to people is don’t worry about the awards at the end. You need to experience the four years in high school and then embrace the opportunities you are given,” Pawlak said.

Geeta Roa, Co-Editor