The Student Prints

The Student News Site of Sylvania Northview High School

The Student Prints

The Student Prints

AP Environmental student participate in Student Watershed Watch

Some of the AP Environmental students participated in the Student Watershed Watch (SWW). The SWW took place on November 18 at the University of Toledo. There were 11 schools that participated in the watch, and a total of 192 people.

“There were a lot of people from a lot of different schools, it was a younger group of students than what I was expecting. I learned a lot and had a great time,” junior Claire Jakubowski said.

Each school was required to enter a video of their collected data and a poster showing everything that they had tested. Northview won two out of the four available awards, Most Informative Poster and the Best Overall Presentation.

“There were a lot of different presentations that were all very unique and diverse and it was very interesting how water quality could be presented,” junior Alexandria Dunne said.

To prepare for the conference every school had to test a water source near them, the NV students tested the Ten Mile Creek on the NV campus.

The testing included Phosphorous, Nitrates, Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD), Temperature, Fecal Coliform level, and many other field tests. These tests showed the AP Environmental students the quality of the water.

“I am always amazed at the students’ projects and their understanding of the quality of the creek in the community. My goal is that the students connect their actions with the health of the stream, and carry with them their care for the streams in their future no matter where they are,” Michele Bogue, AP Environmental teacher, said.

Elizabeth Liber, Staff Writer