Lifeguards train for summer jobs

It’s that time of the year when summer jobs really start to save some people’s lives. Most students have been on the hunt for jobs as the summer approaches and they finally have been rescued with their experiences in the lifeguard certification class.

The classes took place at the Northview pool from May 5 to May 19 and were instructed by English and Journalism teacher Sarah Huey. The class consisted of 16 students from Bedford, Southview, NV, Notre Dame, Ohio University, and also a few other coaches from within the area.

The class certified its students in lifeguard and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, or CPR. The participants were required to pass two written tests, a CPR skills test, and perform three practice rescue trials. To train for the final test, the students used CPR manikins and practiced rescuing each other from the pool. For their final test, the students were required to assume their position as a lifeguard and jump into the pool to rescue an actual victim that was pretending to drown.

“I’m really happy that I took the lifeguarding class because I believe that everyone’s safety is important and also with my swim background, I know how a simple game in a pool could easily turn into a deathly situation,” freshman Karen Pan said.

After the students pass this certification course, they will be able to apply for jobs at local pools such as Highland Meadows, Sylvania Country Club, Plummer, the Quarry, Olander Lake and the Jewish Community Center to name just a few.

– Allie Hartnett, Co-Editor-in-Chief