The Student Prints

The Student News Site of Sylvania Northview High School

The Student Prints

The Student Prints

Co-exist mixes it up

Have you ever heard the saying “don’t judge a book by its cover?” Well, the same phrase goes hand in hand when meeting new people.

If you believe everyone is equal and you want to be accepting of everyone, then Co-Exist is the club for you.

Co-Exist is an anti-bullying diversity club that gets together and talks about topics such as gender, religion, and biases. The club goal is to create a safe and equal environment within Northview.

The club meets at 7:05 Friday mornings and after school Friday in Adviser Tami Blue’s room, E22. You can go to either meeting or both if you’re feeling ambitious. Co-Exist is open to anyone who wants to join.

In the meetings, the club does several activities, usually starting with some icebreakers and then moving into different topics.

According to Mrs. Blue, in one meeting this year the students talked about different situations and whether it made you feel uncomfortable or comfortable. The students conversed about different ways to make the situations easier and more relaxing for you.

Another time the students wrote letters to the people who bullied them in the past. The letters were never mailed but it gave the student the chance to express their feelings and lift a burden off their shoulders.

The meetings all have food at them and Co-Exist participation looks very good to colleges, according to Mrs. Blue, because they are always looking for diversity within their student enrollment.

Co-Exist plans to have a diversity homeroom one day in the future so all of Northview can participate in the club’s activities.

“The message is important for everyone. You can’t tell what someone is like from just looking at them,” Mrs. Blue said.

The club is open to all NV students and soon will be selling Co-Exist shirts that anyone can purchase.

Mackenzie Elrod, Staff Writer