Students to Participate in NASA Rocket Launch Event

Members of the engineering program pose with one of their rockets. They design and launch them in preparation for the NASA program.

Northview’s NASA Student Launch team was selected to participate in the NASA Student Launch event this year. This is a research project about rocketry and space where students propose a rocket design that could one day help NASA with missions, according to captain senior Nina Echelmeyer. 

NV was one of 14 high schools in the country selected to participate in this event, according to engineering teacher Ryan Reed. They were chosen after writing a 60 page proposal about their rocket design. The competition takes place over an eight month period. 

After this they began writing their Preliminary Design Review and built their rocket to one half the scale and did a test launch. “We launched our one half scale rocket in Three Oaks Michigan on November 14 and it was a great success,” Echelmeyer said. “Everything worked perfectly and we were able to collect all of the necessary data that we will need later in the process.”

The next step is writing their Critical Design Review, which is their finalized designs for the rocket that will be presented to NASA. Then they will begin the process of building their rocket.