Sylvania Welcoming New Board Member

Kimberly+Conklin+
MARY PENCHEFF
Kimberly Conklin

Vicki Donovan-Lyle retired from the Sylvania School Board after 16 years of service and Kimberly Conklin was chosen to fill her position. She plans on being an “objective asset” for the Board.  

Mrs. Conklin had the unique experience of enrolling in three different high schools as a teenager. “The three schools I went to were all very different from each other, so it gave me a better idea of what the country is like,” Mrs. Conklin said.

Mrs. Conklin attended Bowling Green University after high school on an ROTC scholarship to receive her degree in journalism. After obtaining her degree, Mrs. Conklin then served the country as an officer in the army where she truly loved what she was doing. “Ultimately I decided to come back home for law school because I knew that was my dream,” Mrs. Conklin said.

Mrs. Conklin achieved her degree in law and now serves as a litigator at her firm. “A litigator basically helps the client get what they want while being the most cost-effective,” Mrs. Conklin said. 

The skills developed as a litigator have allowed Mrs. Conklin to be an outside of the box thinker. She has had to come up with creative and meaningful solutions for her clients, which is just what the Sylvania Board of Education needs. 

“I didn’t join to push forth some type of agenda that I have, but to help make decisions that will benefit the students and teachers,” Mrs. Conklin said. She was first interested in the board when Sylvania announced its plans to redistrict about four years ago. “I was impressed by the sense of loyalty that the people of Sylvania have. People didn’t want their schools or neighborhoods divided,” Mrs. Conklin said. She noticed during this time that her problem-solving abilities may be an asset to the board.

Mrs. Conklin knew as soon as the position was offered to her that it was something she wanted. “Ever since I was younger and waited tables at a “Southview hangout” restaurant, I was captivated by the immense parent involvement in Sylvania. Parents would come in and talk about how great Southview was and the rivalry with Northview High School,” Mrs. Conklin said.

Mrs. Conklin has been motivated by the community involvement, which is rare to come by in other cities. She wants to utilize that enthusiasm in order to “help allow students of all different incomes and neighborhoods an equal opportunity to excel,” and Sylvania is ready for her to do it.