Stuck in a Snowstorm

A California couple was stranded in their Jeep for five days during a snowstorm in Mendocino National Forest located in northwestern California.

Carlos Hernandez-Isava and Maia Herman-Kitami had their Jeep stuck in snow during a camping trip they took on January 31. They attempted to dig out the vehicle from the snow, after multiple and countless failed attempts the couple realized they were in need of a lot of help.

The couple had to ration their food and supplies and even had to insulate the top of the vehicle in order to stay warm in their car. They were supposed to return to their home in San Francisco from their camping trip on February 1 and were reported missing after they did not return on the first. Jason Logan and his father-in-law Ron Lovell both set out and volunteered to help look for the couple. Logan went out on his snowmobile to search for them and after talking to another volunteer group, he almost gave up his search.

Herman-Kitami had heard a motor in the distance and was optimistic and peeked her head out of the car and saw Logan in a red suit on a snowmobile heading towards them. Hernandez-Isava said how grateful they were that Logan would volunteer his time into helping search for them. He feared that they wouldn’t have survived if they were out there much longer. “If the community didn’t come together like they did for us, we may have not been found until Thursday,” he said. Without the couple insulating their car and portioning their food while they were stuck, they might not of been able to live to be rescued. When traveling in bad weather you should always make sure you keep your gas tank full, have fresh antifreeze, and the National Safety Council recommends bringing: blankets, mittens, socks and hats, an ice scraper and snow brush, flashlight, and extra batteries.