Dance Team Kickin’ It with a New Coach

Northview Dance Team is starting a new year with many new changes. For starters they have a new coach, science teacher Amanda O’Shea.

This is O’Shea’s first year coaching the Dance Team. However, dance was a big part of her life growing up, she was on the Southview Dance Team in high school when they won States. O’Shea really wanted to keep dance a part of her everyday life so she decided to coach this year.

Dance Team performs at halftimes during the basketball games and goes to a few competitions during their season. Usually they have three different dances that they compete, but this year they are only planning on competing two dances. The girls and their coach have decided not to compete a hip hop dance because they really want to focus their time on Jazz and Pom which are their stronger styles. Knowing that hip hop is a crowd favorite they will still perform a hip hop dance at games, however they will not compete it.

“I think this will benefit us and is a good idea for this year,” senior Alexa Trondle said.   

The new season has already started for these 14 girls and their coach. They had choreography camp back in August where they learned their jazz dance which was choreographed by three Ohio State Dance Team members.

“I love the new jazz dance and cannot wait to perform it,” junior Alyssa Restivo said.

They have had a few practices since then on Wednesday nights from 8 to 10pm. The girls will practice three days a week starting October and will end their season after States in March.

This year the team has added four new girls, three are freshmen and one is a sophomore.

“I’m really excited for the year and I’m so happy I get to be a part of this team,” freshman Rose Roberts said.

Overall, the Dance Team is super excited for the new season and cannot wait to show everyone what they have in store.