Boys, Girls soccer face PKs in playoffs

All good things must come to a close. The Boy’ Soccer team realized this as they took on Ashland on October 23 in the second round of tournament playoffs.

The game had fans on the edge of their seats. Ashland started the game early with a goal in the first half. Sophomore Aerin West followed that with a goal of his own in the second half to tie the game at 1-1.

With neither team able to score for the win, the game went into sudden death overtime.  With a scoreless 15 minutes, the teams faced yet another overtime. Again, no goals were scored and the teams met in a penalty-kick shootout.

First up was senior goalie John Wendt scoring big for the Cats. PK goals were also scored from senior Sam Haack, sophomore Kamy Mourad, and freshman Tyler Biggs.

Although the team scored four out of the eight PKs, it was not enough to defeat Ashland.

“It was a great season with great memories and I can’t wait to be back on the field next year,” West said.

The boys had much success this year including winning the Northern Lakes League.

“Winning a share of the league this season was a huge accomplishment for us. We were not expected to do what we did with such a young team. But the team gelled and we were able to do something we haven’t done since 2006; put another number on the NLL champions banner,” Wendt said.

The boys ended their season with a record of 11-3-2.

On October 24, the LadyKats took on Findlay at Findlay.  The girls tied 0-0 in regular play.  With two scoreless overtimes, the team was sent into PK shootouts.  The girls were in hopes to receive different result than the boys had the night before.

“Going into shootout I was very relaxed. We have been working on PKs in practice and there was no doubt in my mind that we wouldn’t put them in the back of the net and come out with a victory,” sophomore Katelyn Shoffer said.

First up to shoot was senior Emma Scanes.  Her goal was successfully reached the back of the net.

“PKs are definitely the most nerve-wracking situations to go into during a game. Especially when you’re the first or last one to take one, that one shot could cost you the whole game. After I made my PK I wasn’t too worried because I knew I could rely on my team to make them and we also have the sickest keeper ever in Kathleen Duwve,” Scanes said.

Also scoring were juniors Abbie Bacon and Leah Arnsby. With the goals tied up at 3-3, junior Allison Reiger stepped up to the shot. Reiger shot upper 90 to lead the Kats 4-3.

Findlay was up next, and their shot was saved by  Duwve to send the Kats to District Finals.

“The moment I realized I saved it, I became overwhelmed with happiness because I knew that I’d be able to play with my family for at least another two days,” Duwve said.

The team scored four out of their six PK shots taken. The last time the LadyKats made it to the District Finals was in 2011, when they also made it to Final Four.

The LadyKats took on Notre Dame on October 26 at Findlay. The game was scoreless until the last six minutes when NDA scored.

Both teams battled the entire game and were evenly matched.  Despite many chances, NV could not find the back of net.  The Kats lost 0-1.

The LadyKats improved their game from last time they played the Eagles. The girls finished out their season with a league record of 6-5-5.

Emma Crandall, Staff Writer